Recommended cuts: Leg, Shoulder (fore quarter), Rolled Loin, Rolled Belly, Rack
- Preheat the oven to the recommended temperature
- Remove the meat from the cryovac bag and allow it to come to room temperature (20 minutes out of the fridge, under a tea towel)
- For crackling:
- Score the rind at 1cm intervals (the roasts from My Farm Shop are already scored)
- Rub roast lightly with oil and salt, and place on a rack in a roasting tray or on a base of carrots and potatoes (helps brown evenly)
- Cook at 220°C for 20 minutes, and then reduce oven to 180°C and cook for 20 minutes per 500g
- Without crackling:
- Sear roast in pan until skin is lightly browned
- Place on a rack in a roasting tray or on a base of carrots and potatoes (helps brown evenly)
- Cook at 180°C for 20 minutes per 500g
- Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer periodically (don't just wait until the anticipated cooking time is up)
- Once cooked, remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes (covered with foil on a warmed plate)
- Carve across the grain of the meat
To keep the pork roast nice and juicy, cook it to medium - which will have n internal temperature of 65-70°C.
An additional crackling tip - some wise folks out there also pour boiling water over the skin after scoring the rind. They pat it dry, then apply the oil and salt. Let us know how you go and if you've got any other sure fire tips for a great crackling.